Kodama Forum

Tired of fiddling with all these connectors ...

For tinkerers exploring the full potential of their machines.
edefault

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:38 pm  

... since it is quite a PITA to frequently unplug / plug all the different connectors deep within the Trinus enclosure!
So I punctured some of the sheetmetal, got me a standard DSUB15 (VGA) pair of jacks and did a little soldering:

jaymcd

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:29 pm  

Can you provide a wiring diagram for this mod? I would love to fix my connectors as apparently they are burning out my controller board.

Jay

edefault

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:31 pm  

Yep, the connectors to the controller board are of the sort that guarantees some fun after a few disconnect/connect cycles.

About schematics ... you don't need one, since it is both the male and female DSUB15 connector put in between.
So you're totally free to choose your own scheme. But if you like to copy mine ... here you go:

sensor wires ... on pin 3 / pin 13
heater cartridge ... on pin 6+7 / pin 9+10
NC ... pin 8
stepper motor red / green / black / blue ... on pin 5 / pin 4 / pin 15 / pin 14
fan 1 ... on pin 2 / pin 12
fan 2 ... on pin 1 / pin 11

I thought it were safer to use two pins each for the heater current; one may as well reserve the redundant pins 7+9 for the laser head.
Also note that I placed a washer between each DSUB connector and the Trinus' sheetmetal parts (see picture) to allow full contact.
The DSUB connectors fit so tightly now that I am tempted to omit the two M4 screws hat fix the print head :-)

jaymcd

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:11 pm  

Ps : NC is what? Nozzle control?

edefault

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 am  

Sorry ... NC is schematicaleze for "not connected"

Grayed

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:19 pm  

Great idea -- I was wondering how I could do something like this after the fourth time I had to remove the extruder assembly! This will be a good excuse to get out my little desktop mill to cut the slots.

Grayed

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:26 pm  

edefault wrote:sensor wires ... on pin 3 / pin 13
heater cartridge ... on pin 6+7 / pin 9+10
NC ... pin 8
stepper motor red / green / black / blue ... on pin 5 / pin 4 / pin 15 / pin 14
fan 1 ... on pin 2 / pin 12
fan 2 ... on pin 1 / pin 11

I have a row of LEDs on my head assembly and need a couple of extra pins. I haven't looked at the main PCB but I suspect that one line of Fan 1 & 2 at least, and probably the others except for the stepper motor, is Ground. The sensors and fans probably draw little current and their ground connections could probably be combined.

edefault

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:37 am  

A need for more pins to connect some bells and whistles ... the most common problem with I/O circuitry design until finally USB was invented 8-)
Yes: Trinus' print head uses common ground on both fans and the heater, so we're not short of pins - I calculated a maximum of 5 available.
My LEDs on the print head are parallel to the fan that is always on - no pins needed for that.

Another 3D printer of mine connects its head via a miniature USB 3.1 connector, which tends to fail because of the continuous movement.
Solution: Pre-load the connector sideways with a rubber strap. Not a proper strain relief, though. But works.
Strain relief is something my improvised DSUB15 connector is also missing yet. TBC.

•   Information