Kodama Forum

This needs to be addressed : Trinus Essentials

Resources and support for those new to 3D printing.
Kevin44087

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:07 am  

Hello, I recently bought the Trinus essentials package(about a month ago) from the store mainly for the on/off switch as I don't like to unplug/plug in the trinus as with time and use I'm sure the port where the charger goes will ware down and eventually break. I had a laptop once where this happened and I needed to get a replacement board to fix it.

Anyway, today my Trinus lost power mid print and like any other person, I investigated as to why. When I looked at my Trinus I saw that it was turning on and off repeatedly and the switch from the Essential kit was very hot. I believe that somehow the switch heated up over a long(3.5 hour print and then 2 hours into another?) period of time and the mechanics of the switch somehow broke internally and the switch no longer clicks into the on or off position but wobbles freely which caused the power cycles that I saw on my Trinus.

I haven't made a support ticket or anything like that and I probably won't because personally its too much trouble to make a ticket for what is probably a $2 switch...I just wanted to let both the users of this fourm and the members of Kodama aware of this switch heating/breaking issue and hopefully it'll be looked at and addressed if necessary.

-Kevin Beck

Kodama_Roi

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:49 am  

Thank you for this. A good alternative is to use a switched wall power extension cord.
I am thankful to those who correct me. Please share with me what you know and teach me where I err.
The trouble with my ignorance is I am seldom conscious of my own ignorance.

BellZBubba

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:47 pm  

Bad answer Roi. Submit a ticket Kevin.

Kodama_Roi

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:10 pm  

The power switch for the current Trinus version is an after thought and a small percentage of them (small % of the production lot but 100% failure to those who actually face the problem), fail early. Failed switches will be replaced under warranty, but the same switch will come so reliability can still be a problem.

The good alternative (and a more reliable one) for the current Trinus is to use your own switched wall power extension cord so the switching is done at the AC side of the power supply unit.

I'm simply agreeing with @Kevin44087 that it may not really be worth his time to have his switch replaced (and yes, he will get a replacement under warranty if he asks for one) but rather it may be best to do the alternative switching solution I mentioned. If you have another switching solution, I'm sure folks here will be happy to hear about it.

A reliable power switch is one of the things that will be in the new Trinus version which is under development. The first version of Trinus is teaching us a lot of lessons that hopefully can be applied to the new Trinus version.

I'm sorry this switch is not providing a reliable solution and we can and will provide replacement until the warranty... this is Kevin's call if he wants to go about solving the problem by asking for another switch under warranty..

And Yes... sending an email to support@kodama3d.com is best when you absolutely need help or have a part shipped under warranty.

Posting in the Forum or Facebook is the place to go if you want other Trinus owner's advice on something. But this Forum has a very low rate of response from members which is why I recommend Facebook as an alternative when asking the Trinus community of owners for advice. It's your call which channel to use... Facebook or Forum or even both. The difference in response rate from members between Facebook and Forum is very big. The community in Facebook is far more active.

I hope @BellZBubba continue to help members in this Forum... we can use more active members like you around here. Thanks.
I am thankful to those who correct me. Please share with me what you know and teach me where I err.
The trouble with my ignorance is I am seldom conscious of my own ignorance.

•   Information