Kodama Forum

Hatchbox PLA

What kinds of filament are you using? Where did you get it? What are your results?
grahamms

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:29 am  

I am trying to run hatchbox PLA because it's about half the price of polymaker and, with amazon prime, it shows up at my house in two days. Three attempts so far with no success. I can run polymaker, swap out filaments and try the exact same G-code. Within minutes, the hatchbox hardens in the tube before the hotend. Good news, I have gotten pretty proficient at unclogging my trinus with a hex wrench.
20170414_001454.jpg

Here's what the clog looks like. The first one was burnt because I didn’t catch the jam right away. The successive plugs were smaller and the same color as the base material.

20170414_001411.jpg

Tiff

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 pm  

check the temperature you are printing with. Hatchbox is one of the high end filaments (but affordable!), and I've never had an issue with it. I do print it slightly higher than normal though.

professorCLU

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:10 am  

Tiff wrote:check the temperature you are printing with. Hatchbox is one of the high end filaments (but affordable!), and I've never had an issue with it. I do print it slightly higher than normal though.

I've tried two prints with hatchbox green PLA, and both times my extruder jamed mid-print and I ended up with a filament spaghetti-fied inside my extruder box.

That was printing at 200c. The roll says 180-210. I am not sure if I'm printing too hot or too cold (how to tell?). I also wonder if the enclosure is making it worse. Tiff, what temp do you call "higher than normal"?

Tiff

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm  

I print about 205-210 (215 for raft layer), but no enclosure, or at least with the door open on it (found the enclosure over heated the filament and made it jam). If you're printing slow, then you need the temperature around 200. you heat it up the faster you have it print (take a little fiddling to find the sweet spot, and I have found that the pigment in the filament can change what temperature you need). I use a fast small print to figure out what to set it at (and now I have a lot of filament spool clips...)

grahamms

Fri May 05, 2017 5:01 am  

After about two weeks of experimenting, the biggest influencer is the enclosure. With the door closed, Hatchbox makes spaghetti. With the door open and the bed heated, it prints decently. If the bed is not heated, there is very strong risk of it becoming detached from build plate.

I am running 200C at 40mm/s with the bed at 60C

Last but not least, I discovered that I accidentally threw out the teflon (PTFE) liner when cleaning my hot end tube. Polymaker PLA runs fine without it but I had to replace it in order to run Hatchbox without jamming. FYI it's 2mm ID, 3mm OD and can be easily purchased on amazon for about $5. Just be sure to buy true PTFE and not an "equivalent."

KENGNJ

Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 pm  

I run matchbox blue pla at 200-205 degrees, non heated build plate, blue tape 40mm speed, .6 nozzle with great success

professorCLU

Sun May 07, 2017 6:39 pm  

Yeah. I've found Hatchbox is extremely sensitive to ambient temp. I reduced extruder temp to 185, but with the door closed it still spaghettified.
This is how I broke the motor cooling fan (filament wedged in the fan and broke a blade). Now the fan is blowing air wonky, so it will sometimes blow down and cool the hotend. I'm waiting on a replacement fan, but I'm prettymuch unable to print until then. :(

grahamms

Tue May 09, 2017 3:52 am  

professorCLU wrote:Yeah. I've found Hatchbox is extremely sensitive to ambient temp. I reduced extruder temp to 185, but with the door closed it still spaghettified.
This is how I broke the motor cooling fan (filament wedged in the fan and broke a blade). Now the fan is blowing air wonky, so it will sometimes blow down and cool the hotend. I'm waiting on a replacement fan, but I'm prettymuch unable to print until then. :(

I assume the fan can be replaced with a computer cooling fan off of Amazon. Have you looked into that?

Cybrsage

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:45 am  

I do not have an enclosure - I have run 3 spools of Hatchbox Grey at 190c without any issues. I do the first layer at 195c.

•   Information