Kodama Forum

What filaments can trinus print with?

What kinds of filament are you using? Where did you get it? What are your results?
Discospartan100

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:29 am  

Can the trinus print with proto pastas and color fabbs speacial filaments, taulmans industrial filament and other big brands like ninja flex as well?

Is there going to be predecessor of the trinus and would that be all metal as well?

The printer looks amazing but haven't been able to use it much as it suddenly stopped working.

Erkki

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:35 pm  

Hot end goes up to 255C so if the filament can print at 255 C or below it should be usable. Some of the nylon filaments may be unusable with the Trinus as they require higher temps than 255 C.

Brettarm

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:06 am  

From what I can see the heater cartridge is a standard 6mm element. If so I'll be changing mine out for one with a lower resistance, higher wattage. I'm not looking to go any higher than 265c but it's that extra 10c that makes all the difference to materials. The Polymaker PC-MAX needs 260c and is an amazing material.

Afro3dprinter

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:48 pm  

Brettarm wrote:From what I can see the heater cartridge is a standard 6mm element. If so I'll be changing mine out for one with a lower resistance, higher wattage. I'm not looking to go any higher than 265c but it's that extra 10c that makes all the difference to materials. The Polymaker PC-MAX needs 260c and is an amazing material.

Make sure the the hotend can handle that as you don't really want to be melting ptfe tubing in there... It would be interesting tho if you could get it to go hotter

Erkki

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:39 pm  

Afro3dprinter wrote:
Brettarm wrote:From what I can see the heater cartridge is a standard 6mm element. If so I'll be changing mine out for one with a lower resistance, higher wattage. I'm not looking to go any higher than 265c but it's that extra 10c that makes all the difference to materials. The Polymaker PC-MAX needs 260c and is an amazing material.

Make sure the the hotend can handle that as you don't really want to be melting ptfe tubing in there... It would be interesting tho if you could get it to go hotter

Having disassembled the hot-end I can inform you that it is a all-metal design so there is no ptfe tubing to melt!!

Brettarm

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:08 am  

There was talk from Kodama early on saying that the hotend was redesigned and able to do 300c. Then after the production started it emerged that the hotend would only get to 255c. Reading between the lines I'm guessing that the mechanical hardware is capable of 300 but the electronics are not. I'll be playing with mine as soon as it arives to find the limitations. My guess is that the heating elenent, controller fet or the main power supply is under rated and never got upgrated after the hotend was redesigned.

Afro3dprinter

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:53 am  

Brettarm wrote:There was talk from Kodama early on saying that the hotend was redesigned and able to do 300c. Then after the production started it emerged that the hotend would only get to 255c. Reading between the lines I'm guessing that the mechanical hardware is capable of 300 but the electronics are not. I'll be playing with mine as soon as it arives to find the limitations. My guess is that the heating elenent, controller fet or the main power supply is under rated and never got upgrated after the hotend was redesigned.

Yes I saw that post also to get it upto 300c.... I'll be following your exploits in great detail :)

nlnpereira

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:44 am  

Can a mosfet be installed between the hotend/heated bed and the actual main board? Then a second power supply could be added just to provide the needed power to the hotend and/or heated bed without affecting the electronics.

AndyF

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 am  

If you had an idea from electronics, you would not ask. So you better take a more powerful power supply.

Gruß
Andreas
Backer #41

nlnpereira

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:19 pm  

Hmmm... sounds like you don't really know what I was mentioning. I'll wait for someone that actually knows to reply.

•   Information