Kodama Forum

Polymaker Polysmooth issues

What kinds of filament are you using? Where did you get it? What are your results?
proffessore

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 am  

I just tried the sample of Polymaker Polysmooth that came with the Polymaker sample selection.
This is a very flexible filament - so flexible that when it fed in, it apparently bent at the top of the cold-end and went sideways into the cooling fan! I heard the screech and thought the bearings had gone. However when I pulled the filament out - it was like a clown or magic trick, it kept coming out, and coming out... and the fan stated up again.
So - it appears there is not enough 'guide' for this type of filament to enter the hot-end reliably with the current design - the gripper gear pulls it in, but it bends at the cold end.
I tried boosting the temp to the 230deg called for with only a little better results - got a dribble out of the nozzle before the fan screeched again.
Anybody else have any better luck? Do I need to boost the hot-end temperature way over spec?
Thanks in advance.

drofnas

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:31 am  

Don't have any of the filament, but you might want to print this little add-on:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2041586

Should help keep things supported into the hotend.
KS #153, US West Coast

pandark

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 am  

I had the same problem. The guide from https://eu.kodama3d.com/collections/add ... 9666491012 solved it.
  • Kickstarter Backer #3208 [Trinus Delux + LCD display]
  • Backerkit [Nozzle Kit + BildTak + Filaments]
  • Kodama Store [Kodama Power PSU (now dead) + replacement Hot End Tube + Trinus Essentials]
-- Pandark

Grayed

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:21 am  

I bought all kinds of PolyMaker filament with my Trinus and my Polysher, but they've been nothing but a nuisance -- breaking, kinking, causing print jams. I had PolyMax wound inside the extruder mechanism like a curly potscrubber. Too bad that my costly Trinus didn't include the little filament guide. Once I get the latest PolyMaker extruder jam cleaned up, I'll switch to a good filament (RepRap does well for me) and print the guide.

Grayed

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:06 pm  

Threw out what was left of a couple of the samples that were giving me a hard time (both PolyMax, as it turned out, and not PolySmooth). Opened a sealed spool of PolyPlus. Filament broke when I removed it from the anchor holes in the side, and a couple more times, so I threw away the first layer wrapped on the spool, about 3 metres. Now working well, have about 11 hours of successful printing. Seems to be inconsistent quality from PolyMaker.

•   Information