Kodama Forum

Print in ABS yet?

What kinds of filament are you using? Where did you get it? What are your results?
Harmos

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 am  

Has anyone tried printing in ABS yet? I tried but cannot figure out the right setting yet. I am not having good luck at all.

thomas

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 pm  

...working with which slicer and which filament? Without these informations nobody can really support you!
backer # 2040

Harmos

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 am  

@thomas
I am currently using Pango. I am considering buying a license for Simplify3D since it seems a lot of people like it.

The ABS material I was trying to use is made by eSun. I also have PETG by eSun and more PETG by MG Chemicals. I have yet to nail down the settings for these to get a good print. Any guidance would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

thomas

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:07 am  

for PETG I'm running the same settings like PLA - except temperature - hot-end 230°C, heated bed 70°C
for ABS hot-end 235°C, heated bed 95°C - and still experimenting with the settings for the 2nd ventilator
These are my actual settings for my filaments - ABS from RepRap Austria & OrbiTech Germany, PETG from Dutch Fialments
backer # 2040

Thierry Sutter

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:12 pm  

Hi Thomas, have you tried ABS without setting up the hot bed? What will this give as a result?
Backer #2811

KrazyJim

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:55 pm  

I have not finished assembly of the Trinus that arrived a few hours ago. I do however print exclusively in ABS on my Makerbot. I use 115c for the heated build plate. I set the extruder at 242C. I use about 35% in fill, and two perimeters. Speed about 40mm per second maybe 50 depending on the job.. I use 3 or 4 top and bottom surfaces.

Now those temperatures are after I used an infrared thermometer to get the actual nozzle temperature and build surface temps at 230C and 112C respectively.

hopewar

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:22 am  

I agree with the second comment
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

thomas

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:44 pm  

...sorry for the late answer Thierry - ABS without heated bed does not really work. There is some special modified ABS available which should work without heated bed - but I did not try it until now as I've a heated bed on all my FDM-printers....
backer # 2040

upconone

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:41 am  

I, too, am having trouble printing in ABS. I'm using Smartbuy ABS (white, made in Taiwan). I've tried extruder temps of 230°C, 240°C, and 245°C. Heat bed is at 100°C. Each time, shortly after printing the raft, the extruder clogs. And it prints a really good looking raft. I'll then stop the print and manually push the filament through the extruder. I have push about 3cm of extruded filament before the clog goes away. I'll use the "Extrude" button,several times, from the Console in Pango to verify that the clog is gone. What am I doing wrong? I've also noticed that the extruder temp setpoints drop by 10°C twice during the print. It seemed like the clog was timed with the 2nd setpoint drop. Any advise?
Base Trinus
Enclosure
Heated bed
LCD Screen
Nozzel Kit

drofnas

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:37 am  

upconone wrote:I, too, am having trouble printing in ABS. I'm using Smartbuy ABS (white, made in Taiwan). I've tried extruder temps of 230°C, 240°C, and 245°C. Heat bed is at 100°C. Each time, shortly after printing the raft, the extruder clogs. And it prints a really good looking raft. I'll then stop the print and manually push the filament through the extruder. I have push about 3cm of extruded filament before the clog goes away. I'll use the "Extrude" button,several times, from the Console in Pango to verify that the clog is gone. What am I doing wrong? I've also noticed that the extruder temp setpoints drop by 10°C twice during the print. It seemed like the clog was timed with the 2nd setpoint drop. Any advise?

Do you have the cooling fan enabled? As that had been the main issues regarding temperature drops that I've seen; air deflecting back and cooling nozzle.
KS #153, US West Coast

•   Information